Then came the Barzan castle whose construction begun in 1808 by Prince Muhammad bin Abdul-Muhsin Al Ali and was completed during the rule of the second Rashidi emir, Talal ibn Abdullah (1848–68). Barzan Palace consisted of three floors and covered an area of more than 300,000 square meters. The ground floor featured the reception halls, gardens, and kitchens. The first floor housed diplomatic guests, and the second floor was occupied by the royal family.
Abdulaziz Al-Saud, the founder of the third Saudi Kingdom ordered the Palace destroyed after he had ousted the last Al-Rashid emir from power in 1921. Today only one tower remains standing in the middle of the city but it gives an idea of the size of this building before its destruction.